Sunday, January 16, 2005

Sometimes its just awkward...

I am a happy person when it comes to my personal life...I am single...I am ok...yet there are times when it is awkward to be the single person. Let me tell you a story...Saturday night I went out for a birthday dinner...theirs not mine...with some friends. Now we have all been friends for ages and I know their husbands, boyfriends, and children. Yet when you are at a table with people who are married and have children and you are single with no children it can get awkward. Especially when the conversation turns to married life and children. Or the husbands are planning a guys night and the wives are planning a play date and they look at you the single person and say 'oh you can come too' Well thank you I feel special now...really I just felt like the extra person. I love these people so I am not going to stop hanging around with them because of it but I have to say it was strange.

What's weird is that when I first met all of these people we could talk for hours about many various topics. Now most conversations work around to children and husbands, etc. And well I can sort of relate because I am around alot of children between work and friends. And I can relate to discussions about marriage but since I'm single it seems I don't actually understand these things from their point of view.

Being single is not a problem for me...I rather like it...no one to check in with, no one to cook for, no one to clean up after, no one to fight with, etc but there are times where being the single and childless person can be a little awkward when you are one of the few among friends. OK LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR...THIS IS NOT AN INVITATION FOR ANY OF YOU TO SET ME UP...I'm ok being single and I'm capable of finding a date thanks.

Oh and this is very important...now that I am back among the single people...I am making a plea...on behalf of all single people everywhere. Leave us be about being single...we are not freaks of nature nor are we incapable of finding a date. We do not want to meet your cousin, your cute co-worker, your sister-in-law's brother, your plummer, your friend, your lawyer, your doctor, your dog groomer...I think you get the point. Unless we approach you please don't set us up with anyone...and listen to us when we say no thank you. It is ironic really since I myself have set up a single friend or two. But single, dating or married I make a pledge to my single friends...I will not set you up unless you request it.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home